The Shuttle



This is the April 1942 issue of The Shuttle published for the members of the Maysville Guild of Home Weavers. Members had looms in their homes and wove rugs to sell. The Guild was associated with January and Wood Company of Maysville makes of Maysville brand warp and filler, which was used by members for their rugs. The idea was to help offset the shortage of rugs due to the stoppage of imports from Japan

Do You Remember These

Maysville Grocery Company, Inc. Paul Newson, Mgt.; Maysville Water Company; Jack Kirk and Co.; Hendrickson's; Germantown Milling Co.; Queen Chevrolet Sales, Inc.; The Bus Station Restaurant; Farris Service Station; Keith and Lykins Farm Supplies; G.C. Murphy; Keith and Keith Motor Car Co.; Mike Brown Co. Inc.; Merz Bros.; C.L. Mains and Son; Charles Traxel and Co.; Ellingtons; and Clover Leaf Dairy;

Train Wreck, Drownings June 1890

SIXTEEN PERSONS DEAD.
THE FATAL WORK OF A KENTUCKY CLOUDBURST.
A TRAIN RUNS INTO A WASHOUT.
THREE OF THE CREW WERE KILLED -- A DOZEN PERSONS REPORTED DROWNED -- SIX BODIES HAVE BEEN RECOVERED -- BULL CREEK ROSE TWO FEET PER MINUTE.
Maysville, Ky., June 14. -- At Bull Creek, six miles above here, two dark clouds met and burst. The creek jumped over its banks and swept like drift several dwelling houses and their frightened occupants. The stone culvert on the Chesapeake and Ohio railroad over Mill creek was washed out into the river, and about midnight, while the storm was at its height, the west bound freight train ran into a washout, causing a fearful wreck.
Three Railroad Men Dead.
The engine and nine cars were piled on upon top of another, almost out of sight on the creek bottom. The killed were:
CHARLES FATON, brakeman.
MORRIS HONAKER, fireman.
C. C. ROADCAP, engineer.
They were buried beneath the wreck and their bodies have not been recovered. Conductor W. H. WATTS and Brakeman W. W. Love jumped from the hind car and escaped unhurt. The train was made up of thirty-two cars. Nine carloads of shoes and boots for Louisville went down in the wreck. A fast wrecking train, on the way to the scene, ran over FRANK SCOTT, a colored employe, and killed him.
A Dozen Reported Drowned.
About a dozen persons living on the banks of Bull creek are reported drowned. The following bodies have been found:
MISS BETTIE ESTLER.
MISS JULIA ESTLER.
MRS. LUCY ESTLER.
Two Sons of MRS. LUCY ESTLER.
JOHN RUGGLES, a well known fisherman.
Dashed Into Kindling Wood.
The nineteen cars down in the washout were deashed into kindling wood. The train was the first sectiosn of freight No. 38, drawn by engine No. 154, which is one of the largest as well as finest engines on the road. The engine is now out of sight in quicksand. The train was running over thirty miles per hour. A little later an east bound mixed passenger train would have passed over the fatal culvert, when the loss of life would have been appalling.
Rose Two Feet Per Minute.
JAMES IRWIN, had a portable sawmill located several hundred yards up Bull creek, above the railroad. The clouds suddenly bursting caused a rapid rise in the creek, already badly swollen since the storm. Farmers say that the creek rose two feet per minute, and the water looked like a wall twenty feet high when it got to the railroad fill. The sawmill was lifted from its fastenings and with over 100 big logs hurled violently against the railroad stone culvert. This is probably what caused it to give way. Huge stones weighing several tons were carried by the creek long distances. The creek rose two feet higher than it has been in forty years.
The Trenton Times New Jersey 1890-06-14

Carnation Summer

Turning Milk “ and “ Forking Cans “
I got my first real paying job in the summer of 1955. It was at the Carnation Milk plant in Maysville, KY. My primary duties involved “ turning milk “ and “ forking cans. “ Both will need some explanation. Various trucks would pickup the milk at dairy farms all over the area and bring it to the plant for processing and canning. In the large room on the ground floor was the equipment used to fill small metal cans with evaporated milk. The empty cans would come in on a conveyor line gravity fed from the can factory next door and directed to a circular machine, referred to as the filler. The cans were sterilized, filled, and sealed. The filled cans were directed out into the warehouse where they had a label attached and were packed into boxes then on to a conveyor belt being directed into railroad cars. The loaded rail cars would be moved from behind the plant to a rail siding at a warehouse located on Wood street. Now this is where the “ turning milk “ took place. Wooden pallets of milk cases were only permitted to be stored a certain number of days and then the cases had to be turned over to prohibit the cream from settling in the cans. There were five cases per layer and eight layers per pallet. That is forty cases of milk per pallet. Each case weighed about forty pounds. We would place an empty pallet next to a loaded pallet and proceed to take a case off the top of a loaded pallet and turn it over as we placed it on an empty pallet. Usually two guys worked together. We would do this for 4 to 6 hours per shift or until we had turned all the pallets in the warehouse. Can't recall the exact hourly wage but it was around $ 5.00 per hour. Good money for a 17 year old in 1955.
The can factory only operated during the day feeding empty cans to the fillers. Depending on the amount of milk received in any given day the fillers sometimes had to keep operating well into the second shift. Empty cans were stored in bins. These bins were located high up in the ceiling above the fillers. When the gravity feed of cans stopped from the can factory cans were supplied from the can bins. This was done by “ forking cans “. The fork resembled a pitch fork except it was about four feet across with a three foot handle. It had 26 tines about 5 inches long. This enabled the laborer to pick up 24 empty cans at one time, turn to the right and place them on the gravity track to the fillers down below. Close to the roof and above the fillers made it extremely hot in the can bins. We were only allowed to “ fork cans “ for 30 minutes at a time. One guy would fork for 30 minutes and then another guy would take his place for 30 minutes. The air conditioned break room was a welcome relief. We also learned that if you forked real fast for 15 or 20 minutes you could back cans all the way up to the bin which would provide enough cans to the fillers for 15 or 20 minutes thus extending your break time. However, if you got to careless and knocked empty cans down on the floor you could end up knee deep in empty cans. This wasn't good because you had to pick them up 2 at a time until and put them back in the bin, until the floor was free of empty cans.
It was a good summer and a lesson learned. I did not want to spent my entire working life as a laborer at Carnation Milk Company “turning milk “ and “ forking cans “.
Ken Downing



The Gentleman from Ewing


The Honorable Pete Worthington
1940-2000

Marvin Lewis "Pete" Worthington was born in Maysville, Kentucky on December 5, 1940, the eldest son of Marvin Lawrence "Buster" and Maude Graham Worthington. All of his life, he lived in the Ewing community in western Fleming County. Pete attended Ewing Elementary and Fleming County High School (1958). He attended Morehead State University and earned a B.S. degree from the University of Kentucky (1965) in mechanical engineering. After graduating from UK, Pete accepted a position with IBM as a mechanical engineer in Lexington. Cherishing the lifestyle in his hometown of Ewing, Pete decided to commute more than a hundred miles daily, rather than move. This enabled him to continue farming and raising tobacco. He was a life-long loyal "Yellow Dog Democrat."

Pete and his former wife, the late Linda Powers Worthington, had three children, two daughters and a son. Always a leader, Pete was deeply involved in his community. He was a member of the Ewing Baptist Church, the Favorite Lodge F.&A.M., and the Ewing Volunteer Fire Department. He served as a precinct worker for the Fleming County Democrat Party. In 1974 Pete made his first bid for public office and was elected to the Fleming County Board of Education. In the summer of 1976 a propane gas explosion leveled the Ewing Volunteer Fire Department. This small farming community could not afford to rebuild and purchase new equipment. Working with then Governor Julian Carroll and United States Senator Walter "Dee" Huddleston, Pete became intrigued with the process of government. Using what would later become Pete's trademark dogged determination, with a combination of funding sources, a new fire house soon rose from the rubble.

In 1977, Pete decided to seek the open 70th district seat in the Kentucky General Assembly representing Fleming, Mason, and Robertson counties. The district also included a portion of Rowan County. It was a widely accepted political view that he could not win. But the underdog and his supporters worked hard and smart. He ran on a pledge that he was "A young man willing to work!" Some political promises are forgotten after the election, but Pete's would become a shining example of a promise kept. On election night, he shocked the nay sayers with a stunning victory. His intellect, passion and savvy politcal skills were readily apparent. He was a stickler for detail. Pete quickly delivered public funding and policy victories for his district. These successes enabled Pete to be re-elected a remarkable ten times without opposition. During his twenty-three tenure in the Kentucky House of Representatives, he mastered the budgeting process. He also became a fierce advocate for the needs of his constituents. Pete served as Speaker Pro Tem from 1985 to 1992. His colleagues in the House in both political parties sought and valued his advice and counsel. At the time of his death, he was serving as Chairman of the influention budget subcommittee on transportation. Just three days before his death, he presided over the dedication of a new $37 million bridge spanning the Ohio River from his district. This project was the culmination of twenty years of methodical devotion to the budgeting process. He was unapologetic in the use of public resources to improve economic opportunity and the quality of life for the citizens of rural Kentucky.

Pete Worthington died on October 12, 2000. He was preceded in death by his parents and a brother, Michael Lee "Mickey" Worthington. He is survived by his children and grandchildren: Laura, a public school teacher and her husband Greg who have two children, Steely and Henry; Julie, an orthodontist; and Weston, an attorney. Pete was very proud of each of his children and their many successes. His two grandsons were also a pride and joy to him. In the end, they were what mattered and he will live on through them.
_______________________

Capt. A.M. Proctor, 35 Years In Navy



Retired Officer Who Fought in Spanish and World Wars

Captain Andre' Morton Proctor, United States navy, retired, of the Hotel Windsor, veteran of the Spanish-American and World Wars, died on Thursday of a heart ailment at the Brooklyn Naval Hospital after a short illness. His age was 64.

Born in Maysville, Ky., Captain Proctor was graduated in 1893 from the United States Naval Academy. In 1898, with this country at war with Spain, he was stationed aboard the auxiliary cruiser Gloucester, formerly the yacht of the elder J. P. Morgan, when that vessel took part in the defeat of Admiral Cervera's fleet off Santiago de Cuba.

Captain Proctor won the Specially Meritorious medal, War with Spain, and "for eminent and conspicuous conduct in battle" was advanced five numbers in seniority. He served thereafter in Cuban and Philippine waters and served two tours in Chinese waters. During the Work War Captain Proctor commanded a flotilla of the First Destroyer Force of the Atlantic Fleet abroad. for his services he received the Victory Medal and the Mobile Base Clasp. In 1919 he was on duty in London.

He commanded the battleship Texas in 1922-24. After that he was attached to the New York Navy Yard until his retirement in 1928. Captain proctor was an expert on marine engineering. He belonged to the University Club and the New York Yacht Club. A brother, Colonel John R. Proctor Jr., United States Army, retired, now living in Paris, survives.

Captain Proctor will be buried in Arlington.

Jaycee War Memorial


This memorial sets on the old court house lawn in downtown Maysville. It is inscribed with the names of the men from Mason County who died in World War 1 and 2. We raised the money from local merchants. It was dedicated on May 10, 1971 by Brig. General George S. Patton Jr who flew via helicopter from Fort Knox.

Banking History In Maysville

About the time of the Civil war the firm of Pearce & Wallingford was established and a few years later, on the liquidation of the Farmers' Branch, its business was absorbed into the firm of Pearce, Wallingford & Company, — a business which subsequently was incorporated into the State National Rank, which is still conducted by some of the same interests. About the year 1870 the firm of
Wells, Mitchell & Company was established by a number of gentlemen of means living about May's Lick in this county. Later the
business was converted into the First National Bank, still operating in this city. Subsequently some of these parties withdrew and organized the bank of Mitchell, Finch & Company, an institution known to many. The Farmers' & Traders' Bank came as a later organization. This was started by the owners of the State Bank of Dover, whose business was removed to Maysville, and these
gentlemen with other interests organized the Farmers' & Traders' Bank. The Union Trust & Savings Company was established here many
years ago by the First National Bank people. All of these institutions have an active and influential clientage, enjoy a lucrative business, and it is but stating the truth to say that
no community in the state is afforded better accommodation at
more reasonable rates or on better terms.
THANKS FOR VISITING THE BLOG.
Y'all come back ya hear !
Free Web Counter
Free Counter Visitors To Our Blog