The Pogue Distillery - 1910


The H.E. Pogue Distillery Company – 1910

A concern of importance, because of the high character of the house, and the immensity of its operation, is found in the H.E. Pogue Distillery Company. This is one of the largest and best known distilleries in the State of Kentucky. The Company are distillers of fine sour mash Kentucky Bourbon, Rye, and Wheat whiskies, their special brands being “ Old Time”, and “ Old Maysville Club.” These distilleries were established in 1866 and are known as the “Old Time” distilleries. Employment is given to thirty people and they grind 600 bushels daily, and at the present time have about 15,000 barrels of whiskey in the warehouse. John F. Pogue is President; and H.E. Pogue, manager, and they have built up a large business strictly through honorable methods and today enjoy the reputation of being one of the best known and best patronized in the State of Kentucky.

How Old Is That Building ?


 Maysville High School – built in 1908. Site of 1784 blockhouse, first permanent building in Maysville .
 St. Patrick’s Church –Dedicated in 1910 in Gothic Style, its two large stained glass windows represent St. Boniface and St. Patrick, patron saints of Germany & Ireland. Rectory built in 1901 in Colonial Revival Style
 Russell Theater – Spanish Style atmospheric theater built in 1929 by the M. C. Russell family
 Third Street Row houses – c. 1830 in Federal Style, enhanced with French influenced grillwork, “eyebrow” windows, later additions of Mansard roofs.
 Mason County Courthouse – built in 1844 in Greek Revival Style, domed tower clock
 First Presbyterian Church built in 1850; architecture represents the first period of Gothic Revival.
 Cox Row – built in 1886, replica of row houses opposite Gracie Mansion in New York City; the 7 row houses are named for days of the week. ( Bet ya didn't know this )
 Church of the Nativity built in 1848 in Tudor Gothic style with deep chancel, steep roof pitch, massive tower with belfry and wooden doors with heavy iron strap hinges.
 The Lee House, originally named the Washington Hotel, was built circa 1798. Famous guests include Henry Clay, the Marquis de Lafayette and Andrew Jackson. Original guest register on display at Museum Center.

History of the Simon Kenton Memorial Bridge


Today the free use of bridges over the Ohio, Licking and Kentucky rivers is taken for granted by drivers, but in 1945 it was a major event. The history of the Maysville-Aberdeen bridge dates to the late 1920s when Maysville competed with Augusta as the site for the Ohio River bridge. Maysville was selected and on Nov. 8, 1930, contracts were awarded to the Dravco Construction Co. and John A. Roebling Sons Co. The suspension bridge would end up being 3,163 feet and 11 inches long, with the central span 1,060 feet long. Cost was about $1.6 million. The official opening of the bridge was set for Nov. 25, 1931, and, as was the custom at the time, caravans of auto club members from across the state traveled to Maysville for the event. Northern Kentucky, in particular, would be well represented with James Diskin leading the Campbell County motorists and William Ryerson and Covington Mayor Thomas Donnelly leading the Kenton County delegation. A Kentucky Times-Star account the week before said the bridge opening would be a holiday in Maysville. Lights were strung along the bridge and a grandstand constructed opposite Maysville's Third Street entrance to the bridge for the dedication ceremonies. Several thousand people attended the opening ceremonies. The ribbon-cutting ceremonies were followed by the unveiling of the bridge plaque by members of the Limestone Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution. The plaque dedicated the bridge as the Simon Kenton Bridge in honor of the pioneer, who spent some of his early years of exploration in the Mason County area. After the official opening the honored guests moved to the Hardyman Warehouse in Maysville for more speeches and music. To help pay for the bridge a toll would be levied, but as part of the celebration, the toll was not charged from the Wednesday morning opening until midnight on Sunday. A Kentucky Times-Star editorial on opening day termed the bridge a ''momentous event.'' The newspaper noted that the span gave Maysville a claim to be called a great gateway to the South and assured Maysville a place on the map.Among the guests at the bridge opening was 87-year-old Thomas Campbell, an attorney in Bainbridge, Ohio. A Kentucky Times-Star account said Campbell was there because his father had operated the first ferry between Maysville and Aberdeen, Ohio. With the opening of the bridge, the last ferry boats at Maysville were closing. The same account said among the early ferry customers were Kentuckians going to Aberdeen to be married by Thomas Shelton, who had earned the nickname the ''Marrying Squire.'' Other the years several others would operate ferries between Maysville and Aberdeen, including Mrs. Gordon Greene, a pioneer pilot among women on the Ohio River, who for a while was a partner with Capt. Charles Stadler in a Maysville ferry. In opening the bridge, the Times-Star said the state had bought out and closed both Stadler's ferry and another one The Simon Kenton Bridge would again make news on Aug. 1, 1945, when plans were announced to end the toll - on Oct. 1. As with the opening, ceremonies were planned to mark the event, with Maysville's Rotary and Lions clubs again in the forefront. The Maysville bridge was one of several in the state that became toll-free that year. A parade through Maysville's business district would kick off the end-of-toll ceremonies. Master of ceremonies was Joshua B. Everett of Maysville. At the time he was state director of welfare. After the ceremonies on the bridge, the dignitaries trekked to the Burley Warehouse on Kehoe Viaduct for further ceremonies. The honor of cutting the ceremonial ribbon went to 13-year-old Margaret Church, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Archibald Church. An account said Miss Church was selected because she was born the day the bridge opened. The ribbon used was part of the ribbon used in the opening ceremonies in 1931. The ribbon was cut at 3:30 p.m. and Gov. Willis' car with Kentucky and Ohio dignitaries was driven across to the Aberdeen side and then back again. At that point the bridge was open to all traffic without a toll. A Kentucky Post account estimated 10,000 people attended the ceremonies.

This historical account was originally published in the Kentucky Post

The Latch String Is Out


Jesuit Scientist Al Fritsch Serves Appalachia Through His Solar Ministry

Sixty-nine year-old Jesuit Al Fritsch may not seem like the typical scientist. His headquarters, located in Mt. Vernon, Kentucky, hardly seems a standard control center for scientific research. But in this Appalachian region, Father Al Fritsch, along with the Appalachia-Science in the Public Interest (ASPI), has been researching environmental solutions for the last 25 years. His mission? To teach those around him and across the country to value the earth.

Born on a farm in Maysville, Kentucky, Al gained an appreciation for nature early on. He received his doctorate in chemistry and was immersed in his theological studies when the environmental movement in the United States took shape. Father Al belongs to the Chicago province of the Society of Jesus

His book, The Latch String Is Out” is a wonderful story of growing up in Mason County.


Read It Here
http://www.earthhealing.info/latch1.htm

Kehoe Viaduct

The construction of the Kehoe Viaduct played a major role in the development of the city of Maysville. Its completion provided a vital link between downtown Maysville and the east end of Maysville via Forest Avenue.

KEHOE VIADUCT OPENED
Maysville – October 25, 1940

“We are gathered here to do honor to a great Kentuckian, but nothing we can say would be appropriate. The name and memory of James N. Kehoe will live as long in the hearts and memory of the people of Maysville and Mason County as that plaque which bears perpetual testimony to your esteem of him as well as that of the people of Kentucky.
I have known Jim Kehoe for a great many years and I am well acquained, as you are, of his great record of public service.”

Honorable Keene Johnson, Governor, Commonwealth of Kentucky


The Man Being Honored was James Nicholas Kehoe

Born in Maysville, Mason County, Ky., July 15, 1862; attended public and private schools; engaged in the printing business until 1884; studied law in Louisville, Ky.; was admitted to the bar November 1, 1888, and engaged in practice in Maysville; served as precinct, county, and district chairman of the Democratic executive committee; city attorney of Maysville; master in chancery of the Mason County Circuit Court; elected as a Democrat to the Fifty-seventh and Fifty-eighth Congresses (March 4, 1901-March 3, 1905); unsuccessful candidate for reelection in 1904 to the Fifty-ninth Congress; delegate to the Democratic National Convention in 1912; engaged in banking; vice president of the Ohio Valley Improvement Association and of the Burley Tobacco Growers’ Cooperation Association; president of the Kentucky Bankers’ Association; died in Cincinnati, Ohio, June 16, 1945; interment in Maysville Cemetery, Maysville, Ky.
THANKS FOR VISITING THE BLOG.
Y'all come back ya hear !
Free Web Counter
Free Counter Visitors To Our Blog