August 13, 1854

On August 13, 1854, the Maysville Express reported the following:

"Last night at 2:15 a.m. the magazine situated on the Maysville & Lexington turnpike road at the lower end of the city was fired by miscreants unknown, and its contents, eight hundred kegs of blasting and rifle powder, were burned, causing a terrific explosion and great destruction of property. Not a house in the city of Maysville. East Maysville, or Aberdeen escaped injury. A stone weighing 43 pounds was found in Aberdeen 1 1/3 miles from the spot. The explosion was heard at Popular Plains, 22 miles distance; on a steamboat 42 miles up the river; at Hillsboro, Ohio, 40 miles away; the whole body of water in the Ohio River surged toward the Ohio shore, rising suddenly and deep on that shoreline; in the Maysville Cotton Mill, 1200 lights of glass shattered. Damage was in excess of $200,000. No one was killed and very few injuries."

Landscape of Maysville


"Landscape of Maysville," a painting by Prof. Pinquely, a dance instructor at St. Frances de Sales Academy, Maysville, c. 1880

Maysville To Cincinnati 1845

William H. Rees


William H. Rees (1882-1952) Chief Justice, Kentucky Court of Appeals, 1933-35; 1941-42; 1945-47. b. Aug. 30, 1882 in Maysville, Ky. Graduate of Kentucky Wesleyan Coll., Vanderbilt U., and U. of Virginia. Began law practice in Maysville, Ky. in 1908. Served on Kentucky court of appeals from 1926 until his retirement in 1951. Mason. d. Aug. 2, 1952.

Charley Arnold & Allen Doyle Die In Plane Crash

At Tyler Airport at the time of the take-off, which was about 8 A.M. on January 4, 1966, the weather was very foggy with visibility being approximately 100 to 150 feet, and the ceiling being about 50 feet. On the Kentucky side of the river at the place of the crash, which was about 3,000 feet from the northern end of the runway, where the plane became airborne, the weather was bad, cold and foggy. Visibility was about 50 feet, and the ceiling was about the same. It was not possible, at the place of the crash, to even see the Ohio River, and not possible to see across the river. In the town of Maysville, Kentucky, about two miles from the scene of the crash, it was so foggy that visibility was limited to less than one-half of a city block.

Tyler Airport has no contact tower or weather-reporting facilities. Lunken Airport, near Cincinnati, Ohio, is the closest airport with weather facilities, and Tyler Airport is within Lunken's flight control plan area.

At 7:24 A.M. on January 4, 1966, the pilot, Allen Doyle, called Lunken Airport and talked to Miss Virginia Allen, whose basic duty is to give pre-flight briefing to pilots using the federal airways. Doyle filed a flight plan for a trip from Aberdeen, Ohio, to Daytona Beach, Florida, with a fuel stop at Knoxville, Tennessee, and inquired as to weather conditions along the route. He was advised at approximately 7:30 A.M. on that day that the weather conditions at Lunken were ceiling zero, sky obscured and visibility 1/16 of a mile in a fog. Lunken is located on the bank of the Ohio River, as is the Tyler Airport.

Elijah Conner Phister (October 8, 1822 - May 16, 1887) was a United States Representative from Kentucky. He was born in Maysville, Kentucky. He attended the Seminary of Rand and Richardson in Maysville, Kentucky and was graduated from Augusta College, Kentucky in August 1840. He studied law, was admitted to the bar, and commenced practice in 1844.

Phister served as mayor of Maysville, Kentucky in 1848. He was a circuit judge 1856-1862 and a member of the Kentucky House of Representatives 1867-1871. He was appointed one of the commissioners to revise the Kentucky statutes in 1872 but declined. Phister was elected as a Democrat to the Forty-sixth and Forty-seventh Congresses (March 4, 1879-March 3, 1883). After leaving Congress, he resumed the practice of law. He died in Maysville, Kentucky in 1887 and was buried in the City Cemetery.

Born At Jefferson's Monticello


Lucy Cottrell was the daughter of Dorothea (Dolly) Cottrell, a house servant at Monticello who, after 1826, became the property of George Blaetterman, a professor at the University of Virginia. About 1850 Dolly and Lucy Cottrell went to Maysville, Kentucky, with the professor’s widow, who freed them five years later. In this daguerreotype Lucy Cottrell is holding Charlotte, daughter of Blaetterman’s foster son.

Academy Of The Visitation Nuns

Early in the year 1864, preliminary steps were taken towards the opening of a house of the Visitation Order in Maysville, Ky., a small town removal from Maysville to Rock Island, 111., it was plainly seen that the community would never succeed in a small town, where opportunities were so limited. Therefore, after careful deliberation, the matter was laid before the Right Rev. C. P. Maes, early in the year 1899, and he, after a thorough consideration of existing conditions, reluctantly admitted that there was no future for such an institution in Maysville, and approved of a removal to a more promising field. Shortly after this decision matters were expedited for the Sisters by an invitation from the Right Rev. (now Most Rev.) John Lancaster
CONVENT AND ACADEMY OF THE VISITATION, MOUNT DE CHANTAL,
WHEELING, W.VA. — VISITATION NUNS
THANKS FOR VISITING THE BLOG.
Y'all come back ya hear !
Free Web Counter
Free Counter Visitors To Our Blog